Kalimac Crafts (and assorted other bits and bobs)

Monday, August 08, 2005

Book Review - A Short History of Nearly Everything

A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson. 2003


(Dude, there's gonna be an illustrated version now? I want that!)

Bill Bryson is my baby daddy. I adore his writing, his style, his Des Moines - meets - bumbling - Englishmanness. He could rewrite the phonebook and I would buy it, because it would probably include some deeply disturbed person, and an amusing anecdote or five of how historical people died interestingly.

A Short History... tends to drag a bit, especially when he hits meterology, and the endless debates over the early days of the earth. It was definitely better to read in bits and chunks, instead of one straight readthrough. Bryson makes everything wonderfully accessible, of course, and adds just enough interesting parts to keep me going. The book's just a wee bit long, I think, and he loses steam in parts, reduced to reciting facts.

Overall, though, I loved it. It clarified a great deal, was very funny, and was generally just wonderful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home